13 Things Your Yoga Teacher Won't Tell You
I don't teach yoga, but I can definitely relate to some of the thoughts in the article. Here are some of the things I thought about when I read these thoughts.
- "I don't have all the answers": I do a TON of research. I read studies, articles, blogs... and every day I learn something new. Anybody that tells you they know it all is full of bull shit! I am constantly learning, and I will be constantly learning the rest of my life.
- "Yoga is not a magic bullet": There is no such thing as a perfect workout program. Don't let yourself get stuck doing the same thing all the time. You need as much variety as possible.
- "I am not doing this for the money": Yes, I make a decent living. I own a home. I can feed my dog, two cats, my wife and myself. I can pay my bills on time. But I've always said if I wanted to be rich I wouldn't have become a trainer. I am one of the lucky people that truly loves what they do.
- "I have poses I dread": Well, I don't have poses I dread but I do have exercises I dread. Running is probably the best example. I HATE running! But I make myself do it. I never ask a client to do something that I don't do myself.
- "When people have matchy-matchy yoga outfits": It is funny when people walk in with the newest cool shoes and matching workout outfits. You don't need all that stuff. Save your money and wear an old t-shirt and shorts.
- "I am not a doctor": I need to know what your issues are (joint issues, muscle issues, headache?) before a workout so we can find the best way to attack the workout. But I am not going to cure your ailments. Certain issues will get better through learning proper movement patterns and increasing strength. But I always tell people; I won't cure you, but I can make things better.
- "Yoga is HARD": Working out is HARD! It is suppose to be. Why do you think it is called WORKING out. You have to WORK!